Members & Interested Parties
You are invited to attend this TEG Inspired Tour!!
Another reason to be a part of The Earthbuilders’ Guild
Walking Tour of Historic Adobes–a slice of the cultural heritage of Bernalillo, NM
guided by Rick Catanach, Adobe builder and preservationist
Starting point: The Martha Liebert Public Library
124 Calle Malinche, Bernalillo, NM 87004
August 17, 4pm
Following TEG Board Meeting
The WPA Building
Adjacent to the library, this restored two-story adobe Works Progress Administration building was built in the 1930’s as part of President Roosevelt’s efforts at putting the country back on its feet. Known as the Roosevelt Building, it was the second and at the time, largest public school in Bernalillo, and now stands vacant.
The Graber House
An adobe/terrón residence built in the early 1900’s. As part of a block containing Abenicio Salazar buildings, the Graber House is thought to also have been built by him. The house is about 2/3‘s of the way thru a renovation being done by the Youth Conservation Corp, directed by María Rinaldi, with on-site guidance from Rick Catanach and Francisco Uviña. After completion it will become the (luxurious adobe) living quarters for the local Fire Department.
A three-story adobe, with 27” walls built from 9 x 18” adobe. Built by Abenicio Salazar in 1919, the old mill burned first in the 1950’s and several other times as well, leaving only the adobe and stone portions standing. The YCC has been working on this project for three years, manufacturing the adobes needed to rebuild the walls, replacing the destroyed wooden elements-lintels, doors, floors, etc., and installing the bond beam.
If time permits we will relocate 1 mile north for the second portion of the tour.
Parking: NM Wine Museum (The Sena Barn), 737 S. Camino del Pueblo, Bernalillo
across from Flying Star, on the west side of Cam. del Pueblo
El Zócalo Complex
The Convento is the oldest of this group of buildings, constructed in 1875, in the era of Archbishop Lamy. The Sisters of Loretto occupied the convent, and opened a girls school there in 1878. After the construction of Our Lady of Sorrows School (now El Zócalo) the building served as the school cafeteria. Well-known adobe designer/builder William Stoddard did restoration on the convent in the 1970‘s, sufficient to keep it standing. More recently, in 2007, both the Convento and El Zócalo underwent an extensive historical renovation, done by Michael S. Rich Contractors. It is now used as an event and visitor’s center.
El Zócalo is included with the Convento and others in the Abenicio Salazar Historic District, on the National Register of Historic Buildings. It was originally built by Abenicio Salazar as the Our Lady of Sorrows School in 1922. A two story adobe, it also has the distinctive 27” walls of 9 x 18” adobe. Terry Lamm, longtime owner of El Zócalo, spent years in an on-going effort to prevent the collapse of the building and the loss to the community of this unique structure. It was eventually purchased by the county in 2003, and along with the Convento, fully renovated. It is used now for receptions and meetings.
There are two other adobe buildings on this property:
The Sena Building, a carpenters’ shop, is thought to have been designed by William Lumpkins in the 1940’s. It was originally an aircraft mechanics’ school and fell out of use when the ceiling collapsed. The Sena Building was renovated in 1980 by Rick Catanach and Gaspar Garcia.
The old adobe/terrón barn on the property was the carriage house for the Sisters, and later a residence. It was remodeled by the county in 2010.
The Sena Barn/New Mexico Wine Museum, Loretto Park
The Sena Barn, a two-story terrón building, was built circa 1917 by the Sena family and Abenicio Salazar. Originally a barn, then a stable for funeral horses and hearses, it burned in the late 1980’s. In 2007 in a project overseen by Cornerstones Community Partnerships of Santa Fe, the old barn became the first YCC restoration. For the excellence of their work, both historically appropriate and with an eye toward future use, the Bernalillo YCC was awarded the Heritage Preservation Award by the NM Historic Preservation Division. The barn features earth floors, interior mud plaster, and exterior lime plaster.
Santuario de San Lorenzo
The Santuario de San Lorenzo, the second building to house Our Lady of Sorrows Church, was built in 1857. (the first was destroyed by flood in 1735.) It was the main church until it was abandoned in the late 1960’s or early 70’s, and a new brick church was constructed adjacent. As the conversations were occurring as to whether to tear it down or leave it standing, the old church sustained serious damage from a leaking canale, and all the windows were vandalized. Adobe builder and craftsman Rick Catanach was brought in to do repair on the windows, which led to repair of the damaged wall, which led to an ongoing avalanche of repair involving volunteers from the community. From oldsters who had attended the church to youngsters whose parents had, it became a community project. Today the Matachines of Bernalillo donate earnings from their dancing to the church renovation.
The Santuario de San Lorenzo was designed by Fr. Joseph Failon and constructed with 40 “ walls of 13 x 20” adobe.
It is included on the National Register of Historic Places.
Please note: The information above was gathered from various sources. While The Earthbuilders’ Guild has made every effort to insure its accuracy, we cannot guarantee it.